Please join Tzu Chi Long Island for a dual blood drive and bone marrow registry event in honor of one of the most joyful stars of our community, a little girl named Lilian.
She is a 7-year-old New Yorker who was diagnosed with Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia (or AML) in September of 2020. Since then, Lilian has taken four rounds of chemotherapy like a champ and, despite her condition, she is intent on cheering up those around her, including her medical team, parents, and siblings, with her humor and jokes. She is now awaiting a stem cell transplant﹣for which you could be a match.
On Sunday, August 29, we’re partnering with the New York Blood Center for a blood drive and Be the Match to register potential bone marrow donors. Donors should make an appointment at www.nybc.org/donate or call (800) 933-BLOOD.
To donate blood, please know the following:
- your temperature will be taken
- if you have recovered from COVID-19, you must have passed 14 days since without symptoms
- the blood drive is not a COVID-19 test site. To arrange a test, please contact your local health care provider
You must also...
- eat and drink well before your arrival
- present your photo ID or donor ID card
- wear a mask or face covering, regardless of vaccination status
- be between the ages of 16-75 (16 year olds must have parent or guardian permission)
- weigh 110 lbs or more
You may not donate if you...
- have AIDS or have ever had a positive HIV test
- have any type of Hepatitis
- have donated blood within the past 2 months
- have had any new tattoos or piercings in the past 12 months
- have tested positively for COVID-19 or experienced COVID-19 symptoms in the last 14 days
- are currently on self-quarantine restrictions
To join the bone marrow registry, you must:
- be between the ages of 18 to 44
- be in general good health
- be committed to donating to anyone in need
- for further information, please visit https://my.bethematch.org/NY4LILLI