ABOUT US ／關於我們
We are a Portland based Chinese School, teaching traditional Chinese and Culture, nourishing humanity and virtue.
上課時間： Sunday 1PM – 3:50PM （含人文課）
上課地點：German International School
（3900 SW Murray Boulevard, Beaverton, OR 97005）
Tzu Chi’s education is a “people-oriented” one that not only teaches the Chinese language and talents but also emphasizes the education of life and the cultivation of a humanistic spirit. Through courses such as sign language, environmental protection, flower arrangement, tea ceremony, drama, puppet show, Jing Si Aphorism, as well as public welfare activities such as visiting homes for the elderly and community distribution, we tend to cultivate compassion and kindness and inspire students’ love and good moral conduct.
Many Chinese descendants overseas take learning Chinese as a chore because of the lack of a Chinese-speaking environment. Since its establishment, Tzu Chi Academy Portland, in addition to the courses in Chinese language and Jing Si Aphorism, integrated programs such as festival activities, Chinese folk crafts, and tea ceremonies into the curriculum, creating a highly lively and life-like teaching environment. Through various activities, students learn Chinese and understand the beauty of tradition, and cultivate humanistic qualities.
Learning Chinese should be a joy. Through learning the Chinese language, the students could understand the rich nutrition contained in the Chinese culture, let alone Tzu Chi’s humanistic spirit which is undoubtedly an invaluable treasure. The children are made aware of the characteristics that are different from the Western world in their cultural roots as well as its unique connotation, so that they can grow up happily, healthily, and confidently in the environment of Western culture.
Purpose and Principles
Tzu Chi Academy Portland is a non-profit educational and cultural institution that adheres to Tzu Chi’s spiritual concept and takes compassion, joy, honesty, and integrity as the school motto; it’s devoted to cultivating students’ attitudes of honesty and integrity while practicing compassion and love in life. The teaching is targeted at making the students understand Chinese culture and cultivate Tzu Chi’s humanistic spirit.
The teaching of the Chinese language and cultivation of Tzu Chi’s humanistic spirit is facilitated through inspiring games and experience activities while integrating traditional customs, festival activities and handicrafts; we hope to:
- Create a happy Chinese language learning environment, let children learn Chinese with joy, which facilitates long-lasting learning.
- Teach language in life-like scenarios: Learning a language is not just about learning language skills, but about learning the culture, customs, history, art, and music that are intertwined with the language. Therefore, the curriculum integrates Jing Si Aphorism, folk and festival activities, and traditional talents and skills, nurturing intangible teaching.
- Open another door in life for the children. Each child is of different aptitudes and personalities. Under the modern pressure of chess, calligraphy, and painting, instruments, singing, playing, and photography, children can find the value in their lives through the humanistic nurture of Tzu Chi, and a door to the child’s own life could be opened for him/her so that the child not only learns academic knowledge but also has his/her own unique and brilliant scorecard.
- Through the teaching of Jing Si Aphorism and character education, students can broaden their horizons, cultivate the merit of magnanimity, and develop excellent personality traits and living habits through life practice.
- Through the experience and cognition of Chinese cultural activities, students can improve their listening, speaking, reading, and writing of the Chinese language.
- Through the cultivation of talents and humanities courses, students can improve their realms of truth, goodness and beauty can be improved.
CONTACT US ／聯絡我們
Class Location 上課地點：
German International School
3900 SW Murray Boulevard, Beaverton, OR 97005